Blogs have been around for quite a while. Yet, there is a lot of confusion among internet users. What is a blog? Why should I get a blog? How does it differ from a website? If you find yourself puzzled by these questions, continue reading.
To understand what a blog is, one must first understand what a website is. A website is an online portal that represents a particular entity. This entity could be a commercial organization, a government department, an NGO, an individual or even a social cause. There are two types of websites static and dynamic websites. Static websites are those websites that do not change at all. Irrespective of how often you visit the website, it stays the same in terms of content and appearance. Dynamic websites, on the other hand, change with the passage of time. That’s because fresh content is added to the website regularly.
A blog is a dynamic website. The following are some of the main characteristics of a blog or a dynamic website:
- Installation is quick and easy
- It is interactive
- You can easily add fresh content – articles, videos, pictures, etc.
- Indexing is faster
- Blog content is always current, informational and educative unless the owner has discarded the blog
- A blog enables people to share their views with one another and the world
- It allows publishers to establish a personal relationship with their readers
There is no doubt that a blog is superior to a static website in all areas. Taking into account this fact, you must ask yourself – why should I get a static website? Listed below are some advantages of having a blog. Keep in mind, however, that this is not an exhaustive list. The benefits of having a blog are innumerable – many of them cannot be measured.
Advantages of a blog:
- Establishes your online presence
- Adds a new dimension to your organization
- Helps you build a reputation based on trust and credibility
- Drives traffic to your website
- Takes customer service to a whole new level
- Understand consumer’s expectations in real-time
- Immediate feedback